Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Explode?

Again, writing headlines can be pretty difficult! I haven’t had time to do much news reading yet this week but I did come across a pretty good headline a few minutes ago. On MSN there was a spotlight article with a headline that read: “Cute Toddler Sings Bieber; Hearts Explode.” I previously had no desire to hear Bieber, let alone a toddler singing Bieber, but this headline definitely caught my attention. The “hearts explode” part of the headline was the most eye catching and emotion triggering part of the headline. The use of “explode” demonstrates the use of a good, strong verb. I did find it almost too strong. I thought to myself “Explode? I’m not sure I want my heart to explode…” Yes, it’s an extremely strong verb. Yes, it may be a little too strong.

My editing mistake of the week happened at work…as several of them have. This time I was editing a letter for a friend of mine and noticed two typo errors. One was “universities” instead of “University’s” and the other was “mother in law” instead of “mother-in-law.” He was very accepting of my critiques, a nice change seeing as last time I edited something I got told it didn’t matter if it was wrong, it sounded better the wrong way.

2 comments:

  1. I liked your editing mistake. It's funny how some people don't care if their work contains typos or not. I'm glad the person was acccepting of the changes this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing headlines IS hard! I didn't think it would be, but it requires a lot of thought. I've been checking out headlines more closely now too. Most of them are really good, but some of them make me feel better about my own work!

    ReplyDelete