Wednesday, March 2, 2011

-isms

I learned a ton about -isms this week. I decided to take Dr. J's advice and use the -isms assignment in this post.

I ran into a “generic he” issue this week. I was speaking with a friend of mine about a job I was hoping to get. He asked me who the owner of the business was, to which I responded I was unsure. He then said, “Make sure the business he runs is legitimate.” Later in the week I did some digging to find that the owner is, in fact, a woman. Most officials in the organization are women. The “generic he” is more of a habit than I realized before.


I have a few friends that still use the word “gay” to synonymously with “lame” or “crappy.” This is inappropriate and offensive but it’s also a habit. I’m sure they mean no serious disrespect by it but I do have to remind them that their language is offensive.


Last semester I took an intercultural communication class that really opened my eyes to the diversity around me. I never realized that “Latino”, “Hispanic” and “Mexican” all describe different areas. Previously I referred to anyone who appeared “Latino” as “Latino” or “Mexican.” This is wrong because clearly not every individual is actually from Mexico.


Until reading the chapter, I never realized how stereotyped older people are. As the book says, “Our language is not kind to older people.” Just the other day I had a nurse ask me how my mother is doing. I relayed her progress to which she responded, “She’s not that old is she?” Implying that such bad health only comes with age.

I definitely learned this week to write sensitively and kindly about other people. Always use the golden rule when writing about anyone.



As for the editing error of the week, I saw this written in my bathroom stall (of all places). First, it made me chuckle, second I noticed an error. The writer signed, "The Unicorns" but spoke in first person. So either it should start with "We" instead of "I" or it should be signed "A Unicorn." Also, Noah built an "ark" not an "arch." I hope this made you smile!

1 comment:

  1. I like how simply you put how to be sensitive in your writing. Just follow the golden rule! Great point.

    ReplyDelete