Sunday, March 13, 2011

Great Leads

I had a hard time reading the assigned attachment for what constitutes a great lead because I am just so sick of hearing it. While writing for the signpost in the mandatory class, I am so sick of hearing phrases like "soft leads" and "attract the reader". There is a reason I am not going to be a journalism major. I am not good at it. But after reading the explanation given in this text and the examples they used, I am not so sour on the subject now.

I found it even more interesting when looking for ten examples of great leads. When I read the first 30 sentences of stories online, either I wanted to continue reading or not. The ones I wanted to read, I put in the list of ten we were to submit. (The articles caught my attention so much, this made for a time consuming assignment.) But now I can relate to all the badgering about good and bad leads.

Editing Mistake of the week.

While reading different articles and news stories and searching for great leads, I came upon this small mistake. But I found it really annoying because it was on the Washington Post website, a well-established newspaper. And one that should catch mistakes like these.



1 comment:

  1. Good post. There really is so much that goes into writing, especially news writing. Leads are just one of them, and having a good lead can determine whether your article will continue to be read or not.

    ReplyDelete