Saturday, March 5, 2011

-isms

I found an example of a billboard that an individual perceive as racist. The billboard has a message of std prevention and testing on it, but the individuals on the billboard are African American, as if to say that anyone who has Syphilis is African American. Whoever made this billboard needs to be more culturally sensitive.

Next is an example of a product called Glutamax. The slogan reads "I feel whiter and Gay each day." I have absolutely no idea what this means. This -ism obviously pertains to sexual orientation but it does not make any sense to me. It seems to promote homosexuality while demeaning heterosexuality. What does sexual orientation have to do with the product?

I found one that made me laugh because it is so ridiculous. This ad said " Are you asian and don't want to be," "theres HOPE for change," truth ministry.com. That is as racist as it gets in my book.

I found an example of ageism in a Snickers commercial. It's a bunch of middle aged guys playing football and someone states, "your playing like Betty White out there." Betty White suddenly gets tackled and everyone has a laugh out of it. This seems to state that getting old is a bad thing and old people cannot do anything productive. That is obviously not the case.

Able-bodiedism is a term that irritates me. Some people have physical or mental limitations but ideas or articles point it out, when it's unnecessary or inaccurate. There are reminders every day. A handicapped sign is a good example. I know people who rightfully own a handicap sign, but that has nothing to do with them being confined to a wheelchair. In my opinion, there should be a Physical limitation sign, not a wheelchair sign.

For this weeks editing mistake; This Chinese food sign had the worst grammar and sentence structure I have ever seen. This picture is self explanatory.

5 comments:

  1. That billboard is outrageously racist! I can't believe that. All of these examples are well thought out! People definitely need to be more sensitive in the way they advertise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand the homosexual connotation either? Obviously there was a better idea to describe the product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, the last picture is really really funny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that billboard is crazy! That would really offend me, you can't get more blatantly racist than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do you believe every photoshopped pic that's posted online? Good grief.

    ReplyDelete