Sunday, April 17, 2011

Art Balance

This week I learned writing with a hangover is the worst feeling this side of breaking a leg. In terms of editing, however, I learned all about the intricacies of page design. The most important, in my opinion, aspect of page design is to scatter the art. Scattering graphics, art and photos around the page doesn't dull the reader into a mild coma, but allows for less confusion when reading. If an editor clumps all the art in one general area the reader gets confused. The reader, if the art is clustered, will constantly be distracted by the seemingly random graphics, and they rapidly lose interest. If the reader struggles to keep track of the story's progress, then you might as well have not written the article.
If an editor refuses art balance, the page will look lopsided as well as confusing. Lopsided papers, while not necessarily a major grievance, just look weird. I have a hard time reading visually strange pages because I can't get the odd look out of my head.
Balancing art anchors the page. With a good dominant picture and with proper placement, the page will lend itself to being read easily.
I found an editing mistake in a brochure proclaiming that chickens shouldn't live in coops, but nice hotels. Because, you know, chickens totally need to be pampered to make eggs. The brochure said, "Spare chickens by stopping a bus." I'm guessing it was supposed to be abuse, but maybe we should all stop buses. For the chickens.

1 comment:

  1. Balancing the art is an extremely important aspect of page design. I agree that without balanced art, the page just looks confusing.

    ReplyDelete