Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rewind

I am going a little backwards on the blogging topic, I am going back to commas. If you recall, I stood up proudly and typed,

"My name is Mary Capron. And I am a comma-holic"
(ok, it wasn't those words exactly, but something to that effect)

Anyways, I found myself engrossed in my book I read for the report called "Eats, Shoots & Leaves". While reading it, I stumbled upon this gem of a rule as to how to use commas. I would like to share it with all of you.

"The big final rule for the comma is one that you won’t find in any books by grammarians. It is quite easy to remember, however. The rule is: don’t use commas like a stupid person. I mean it. More than any other mark, the comma requires the writer to use intelligent discretion and to be simply alert to potential ambiguity."

I copied this from my report. That is why it looks funny.

How dumb do you feel now? You were using commas this whole time like an idiot. Just kidding. But really, she has a good point. Just be smart in your comma usage and you cannot go wrong!

That's all I have for today. I am all written out. That book report took it out of me.

Oh, editing mistake.
I got a thank you card yesterday. (I know it is horrible I'm calling this woman out after how thoughtful her thank you card was but oh well) The whole card was really nice and sweet and gushy but the whole time she was meaning to say "YOU'RE" (9 times) she wrote YOUR. It was hard to read about what a great person and friend I was when I was thinking about the bad spelling the whole time.

I am going to hell for sharing that.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Mary. I also read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" for my report. I loved the examples she shared about how changes in punctuation can drastically change the meaning of written words. We somewhat take for granted all of the punctuation that we have available to us but imagine how hard it would be to put your thoughts in writing before there were commas, etc.

    ReplyDelete