Sunday, April 17, 2011

Page Design

Being an English major, I haven't ever really taken any design classes. This was all new territory for me. But even so, I really enjoyed it, and found a lot of it very useful and interesting. Who knew there was so much to learn about putting a page together.
The most educational thing for me was learning about what designs just don't work. Before I just thought that as long as you had some pictures and some text, it was alright, but when I started reading about designs that really don't work, I realized that the look is almost more important than the information. I began to notice more why certain stories in the newspaper appealed more to me than others, and it wasn't just how interesting the story sounded, but how interesting it looked.If it was a story with no pictures, or a really long leg, it didn't look iteresting at all, but if it had a picture, especially a big picture, I was immediately drawn to it. The same goes for books or websites. We all know that we judge books by their covers, even if we shouldn't, and that visual element catches the reader way before the actual content does.
The editing mistake I found this week is one of my biggest pet peeves. I got a letter from one of my friends that said, "I'm doing good." Maybe it's just the English major in me, but is it really that hard to say I'm doing well?

No comments:

Post a Comment