Sunday, April 10, 2011

Story Design

Reading the article on eReserve gave me a pounding headache, but I must say, I now understand story designs and layouts better than before. From the reading, I deduced that placement of text and art are visually based. A story design is dependent on what looks good and appealing. Although I won't be producing and determining page layouts in the future, I can use the elements and concepts I learned from the readings to understand the workings of page layout and appreciate how hard editors work to make the page visually pleasing. I was writing a history paper this weekend when I noticed that I was doing the one thing that I hate doing: WRITING IN PASSIVE VOICE!!!! despite the fact that I read every sentence in my head during and after I write it, I still noticed a few sentences that contain the dreaded passive voice. So I cant seem to fund my own grammar fails so i have resorted to looking online to find other's fails. Here is one that I found on CollegeHumor.com. Instead of highlighting the mistake, I editing the picture as it would normally appear. Can you spot the FAIL? Is this really what our 2nd graders are learning?

3 comments:

  1. Is that what 2nd grade TEACHERS are learning? Good post. I agree there is a lot more that goes into story design than many people realize. Writing the article, the headline, and taking pictures are only part of the process. The next part involves putting them all together on a neat and readable page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that poster was found in a second grade classroom. That is where the fundamentals of writing really begin.

    ReplyDelete