Sunday, April 17, 2011

Editing is Fun

My favorite part about this week was the Power Point list of reasons that editing is fun. Not only was it fun to look back at everything we’ve learned this semester, there were also some good points made that I can apply. I really liked how it pointed out that editing is like solving a puzzle. I have applied this “game” to other classes before, especially math. But I never thought about making an editing assignment a puzzle to solve. Anytime I solve a puzzle, whether it is in a video game of a math assignment, I always feel good about myself knowing that I’ve accomplished something. The other reason that editing is fun is because your job changes constantly so you never have to be bored. I have had some very tedious and dull jobs in my lifetime. It makes you dread going to work every day because the minutes can seem to drag on like hours. I prefer a job that requires thinking and effort in order to do it well. Being an editor accomplishes both of these as well as allows you to find ways of being unique and creative in your work.

For this week’s editing mistake, I wanted to use my roommate’s choice of words. He said this new device he bought “kills all your dead skin.” If the skin is already dead, then how could you kill it? Everyday language is not edited though, so I will tell about the real mistake I found. This piece of work appeared in the Desert News:

He also wasn't a head a coach. Ever. Not at any point in his career. Krystkowiak, even if briefly, can say he was. Yes, it was for only two seasons and they happened five and six years ago, but that's still two more than Boylen brought to the table.

There isn’t really a way to make that first sentence work. These weekly editing mistakes have really been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment