Sunday, April 17, 2011

Good Photos

I do broadcast news, and images and video are extremely important to worry about when doing a story. I liked reading about the good and bad photos because it reminded me of the things I look for when I'm filming a story. It's not exciting to have a bunch of people sitting or standing around in a photograph. It's better to have them participating in an activity. Instead of showing someone holding an award, you could show that person doing the activity that he or she got the award for.

Good photos also need to be cropped well. If a photo is cropped too tightly, you lose important aspects of the scene. If it's not cropped tight enough, the reader will be too distracted with the background. It's important to make sure a story has good photos to go with it because readers are attracted to the visual elements of the page. If a story doesn't have an attractive layout, the story may never get read.

Now to tell you about the last editing mistake for this semester. I was anchoring Weber State News, and a couple of the stories had horrible grammar. I have no idea who edited the stories, but they should have changed the wording. It was hard to read. If the editor of that show had read through the scripts, they would have realized words were missing from some of the sentences. Luckily, I was able to add in the words myself, but this shows editing is important in both print and broadcast settings.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I also enjoyed the part about good photos. I went on a vacation to New York last summer and realized how horrible I am at taking pictures. I took one picture of a couple of my friends but I left a bunch of other people in the picture. My friend made me take the photo again. Taking good photos is even more important in journalism because as you said, they can make or break your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about good photos as well. It's not something I'd really thought much about before, but it really is important. The visual element has to be there to capture the audience, but if the photo's bad, it'd almost be better to have no visual at all.

    ReplyDelete