Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 14

       When I first started reading the assignment on layout I thought “isn’t this an editing class?” Well, it is an editing class and despite the fact that I probably will never be a journalist, I found the layout reading very informative. 
I read the newspaper often and it has never crossed my mind that it took so much effort to organize each page. There are specific places for the pictures, headlines captions, and stories. They strategically plan each placement. I like how the newspapers do not just throw a picture on a page, they carefully figure out what would be most appealing to the readers eye. They also figure out how to place all of the text to keep a good flow for the reader. 
On top of making sure the reader will easily be able to follow the story, they are careful in their choice of pictures. There was a specific part in the reading that talked about dominant photos. I love how they are sure to have the pictures different shapes so that the reader can visually see what is the most important picture and story. On page 54 of the reading, they really hit the point home to me. The layout on the right looks so much better with an assortment of sizes rather than just one size fits all. 
Now, on to my editing find. I was driving down Harrison a few weeks back and saw a sign outside of an insurance office that said, “walk in’s welcome.” It’s true. Every time I drive past it I see it. If only they knew to take out the apostrophe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment