Saturday, April 16, 2011

Week 13

I read “Eats, Shoots & Leaves” for my book report. I will have to admit that when I first started reading the book I was not very fond of the author. She seemed hostile about editing mistakes other people make. She would constantly share stories about others editing faults. 
Her first attack was on a sign that said, “CD’s, DVD’s, VIDEO’s and BOOK’s.” She was pretty upset about this one. I get it, the apostrophe really should not be there, and yes, I agree with her. I was just surprised how hard she was on everyone for their mistakes.
The more I read the more I appreciated her passion for punctuation and proper english. At the end of the book she pointed out how if we do not take a stand on the implementation of punctuation it will become a lost art. It will become an art of :) ;) :-(, instead of an art used to help the writer express emotion through the words written on the page. 
Now, on to my editing find. I was at church reading a newsletter and I found myself editing the whole thing. I was putting commas in and changing the words around. I hope whoever wrote it was not sitting behind me. I would have felt bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment