Sunday, April 10, 2011

Story Design

I had no idea so much work went into laying out a page for a newspaper. I was the a&e editor for The Signpost for a day, and I had no idea picas and design were such a big deal. Reading the handout on EReserve helped me to better understand the rules of newspaper layout. I thought it was interesting how you should never format an article in the shape of a square because that's the most boring shape. It also makes readers feel like the story is longer than it actually is. I was also surprised the article said that in the typical newspaper only 30 percent of the stories run with art. I thought artwork would have been required to run with each story. It's important when laying out a page to make it look clean, aligned, and balanced. If a page does not look attractive, the reader will not take the time to read the stories on the page.

The editing mistake I found this week was in my brother's essay. He wrote, "I have always wanted to sea the see." He confused the words sea and see. He's only in sixth grade, so the mistake is understandable. It made me laugh when I saw it, so I thought I would share it with you.

2 comments:

  1. Placement of pictures is a huge deal. I never knew till this week. That is interesting about never formatting in the shape of a square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is impressive to learn how much goes into story design and the techniques to deceive the reader, making stories look shorter. Just kidding about the deceiving part, but just as important as good headlines and leads, the format of a story can make it attractive to the reader or it can make them bored just by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete