Sunday, April 10, 2011

Placement

This week, the struggle of story design clashed with my want for the semester to end. Doing the story design homework made me realize how much work an editor puts in. I always thought editing just searched for and eradicated grammar errors. Editors have to scour stories for libel, grammar errors and word confusion, and that still isn't enough to satiate the hunger of the typical editor. At least, I'm assuming it doesn't. I never knew that editors decided what picture to choose for an article based on how much emotion and power the picture has. I also found out, to my eternal indifference, that editors have to decide where to place the picture. This placement is decided by the type of article and how many columns the article has dedicated to it. If it's a one column, vertical story, the only picture that seems to work is the mugshot. Front page stories usually get treated with one large horizontal photo. Then there is the placement of headlines to fit in with the photo selection. I thought headlines last week were brutal, but I guess aligning it with the photo would make them easier to write. The error I found this week comes from craigslist. Under the pets category, it said, "Free cats for cheap."

1 comment:

  1. I am with you completely on the story design section colliding with the end of the semester! I am sure I would have gotten more out of the section had it been presented earlier.

    ReplyDelete