Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hippa Lay?

I went to a chiropractor the other day, and the secretary asked me if I wanted to see their new HIPPA notice which was covered in clear contact paper. I could tell by the look on her face when I said yes that she was not used to that answer. It was entitled “HIPPA Notice of Privacy Practices.” I just thought it would be interesting to find a mistake in such a formal, highly-produced document. So I began reading. I carried it with me from room to room as I had various therapies on my neck to treat headaches. Each person that observed me reading the HIPPA notice, as if it were a doctor’s office magazine, gave me the most delicious sideways glance to see if I was crazy. Half way down the page it stated “Federal lay determines the amount of usage…” I laughed out loud and received a few more sideways glances. When I returned it to the secretary, she was looking at me even more strangely as I’m sure she couldn’t understand what I found to be so funny about a technical document. When I explained that I'm in an editing course and on the hunt for typographical errors she quickly asked, “Did you find one?” I pointed out the misspelling of the word law, and as she processed the sentence, she blushed, then quickly turned away from me as she said under her breath, “Thank you.” I was more than happy to be of service.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely like the idea of practicing editing skills even when you are just reading for fun or writing your own text message. I have had similar experiences as you; I am constantly pointing out editing mistakes in magazines, books, newspapers, online and on TV.

    ReplyDelete