Friday, February 4, 2011

The Book was Wrong...

You may recognize this picture to the left. It is from our book, "When Words Collide." As I was reading the last sentence, "Remember these sentence types are we move through this discussion," I picked up on a grammatical problem. The are seriously sounds wrong. I am not sure what they were going for here, but it would sound better if the are was replaced with as. If that happened it would read like this, "Remember these sentence types as we move through this discussion." Ah yes, that sounds magnificent. Point for me.

Now that I have my 50 words of editing mistakes out of the way, I can move on to more exciting things such as nominative pronouns. I've been lead astray all of these years. My understanding of pronoun placement has been terribly wrong. Chapter 6 and 7 changed my writing world. Who knew that a sentence such as, "He is smarter than I," was not suppose to end in me? Well, I bet all of you did, but I'm a little slow (so much for catholic school).

I feel a bit more confident in writing. I have to admit that the section on who/whom confused me.

My other epiphany from my studies was that there are words out there that seemed plural to me, but in all actuality are singular. Words such as each, either, every, and neither take on the singular verb which was news to me.

I hope I used the correct grammar, punctuation, and tense throughout this blog. It's intimidating to have all of you read this.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed that error in the book as well, and darn, now I am going to have to come up with another editing error. That's what I get for procrastinating. You are right, I never learned most of these rules. I am sure your Catholic education was just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised that an editing book had a mistake! Good job finding that too!

    ReplyDelete