Friday, February 4, 2011

The Case of the Missing Comma

One of the most important things I learned this week was a review on compound modifiers. I was never very clear on that topic and reading a little review on it was extremely beneficial. I also found chapter 7, the agreement chapter, to be particularly helpful. As we expand into harder material, I’m finding that I make a few of these mistakes unknowingly. I’ve been known to misplace modifiers and leave the poor things dangling a time or two.

This editing stuff is A LOT more complicated than I ever expected! The “cases” assignment pretty much freaked me out. I can spot the mistakes but I have a really hard time justifying why they need to be changed at all.

Amid all of the complicated vocabulary and countless rules, I am finding myself becoming more editorially analytical on a daily basis. For example, the other day I received a baby shower invitation for my stepsister-in-law and immediately noticed a punctuation error (the case of the missing comma).

Last week I edited an assignment for my group in one of my classes and was able to catch mistakes I know I wouldn’t have caught before. So as overwhelming as it can be to read rules upon rules every week, something must be sticking in this brain of mine!

1 comment:

  1. Compound modifiers have never been very clear to me either. I think that if we just use common sense, most of our sentences will come out correctly.

    ReplyDelete