Saturday, February 26, 2011

Eye of the beholder

After careful review of chapter 10, I have noticed that much of it is left to interpretation. The hardest part for me was avoiding cliche's. Everything that I wrote in the chapter 10 assignment sounded like a cliche'. My only recourse was to attempt to be original and to play with figures of speech. Especially helpful for me was the use of similes and metaphors. Remember, similes are verbal comparisons, while metaphors are designed to express a more direct comparison. I also use personification to liven up a story. Personification attributes human characteristics or behaviors to nonhuman or inanimate objects. For example, "that cheesecake is calling my name". The cheesecake is obviously not calling out to me in an attempt to make me eat it, but it is expressing a desire on my part.

For this weeks editing mistake, I don't know how this went unnoticed but here you go. I'm sure they meant Angus burger, but needless to say I will not be going to a McDonald's that sells Anus burgers.

3 comments:

  1. Cliches are really hard to avoid. I found myself struggling in the assignment as well. Cliches came to mind right off the bat.

    Anus Burgers? Really? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your editing mistake! When I first read that sign, I didn't realize anything was wrong because my brain just added in the g. That mess up is super embarrassing fo McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are McDonald's burgers and anus burgers really so different?

    ReplyDelete