Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Queen of Bull S%!$

The section on clarity and conciseness really just ticked me off. I am happy with elongating my sentences with as many unnecessary adjectives and adverbs as it takes to fill the page minimum quota put forth by my professors. I mean, let's be honest, how else can we type a 250 word blog every week without getting at least a little "fluffy". Writing college papers almost requires it to get by with some semblance of sanity in the end. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have found it imperative to cut the crap out of my sentences when it has come to writing for different news media. Stick to the facts; no BS. But according to the section on clarity, clutter is a no-no in the grammar world.

In other news, the test wasn't so horrible, however, I did feel there were one or two unfair questions that I'm sure I'll take up with Sheree.

For my mistake of the week, I was looking up record-long sentences. Look at this whopper and don't feel so bad for your clarity and conciseness mistakes.

“Elizabeth, New Jersey, when my mother was being raised there in a flat over her father’s grocery store, was an industrial port a quarter the size of Newark, dominated by the Irish working class and their politicians and the tightly knit parish life that revolved around the town’s many churches, and though I never heard her complain of having been pointedly ill-treated in Elizabeth as a girl, it was not until she married and moved to Newark’s new Jewish neighborhood that she discovered the confidence that led her to become first a PTA “grade mother,” then a PTA vice president in charge of establishing a Kindergarten Mothers’ Club, and finally the PTA president, who, after attending a conference in Trenton on infantile paralysis, proposed an annual March of Dimes dance on January 30 – President Roosevelt’s birthday – that was accepted by most schools.”
Taken from Philip Roth’s A Plot Against America

Whew!! Are you still awake? Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about having to make things fluffy. It really is what you have to do for many school assignments. That is a seriously long sentence! Good job finding it!

    ReplyDelete