Saturday, February 19, 2011

Loathe/Loath

I became excited after seeing this week's assignment load. Then I started to do the assignment not named vocabulary seven. I started to grind through the similar words and some of the differences bounced around, being too minute to care. But other words are so drastically different that I'm glad I did the assignment. One of the words with drastic differences is loath and loathe. although pronounced the same they are as different as a cat and a Crip. Unless it's a cat-Crip, but those don't seem to exist in large numbers. Loathe means to dislike greatly. Loath means to be unwilling.

Being a curious traveller of out-of-shape proportions, I went walking in downtown Salt Lake City. I saw a homeless man with a cardboard sign since those are always in vogue with the homeless population. The sign said, "I am loathe to risk my beauty." I'm pretty sure he meant, "I am loath to risk my beauty." Or he meant he loathes to risk his wrinkly goodness. But either way, It's a case of choosing the right words, and he chose....poorly.

1 comment:

  1. Would it be bad form to say, "I loathe people with a loath attitude about work?"

    ReplyDelete