Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spartacus Cannot Speak

Thanks to fellow classmate Deric San Juan, I have become fully enveloped in the TV program, Spartacus. The gratuitous violence, profanity and other story elements that are not fit for a classroom blog have entranced me to the point of watching an entire season in 17 hours.

When I saw that we were going to study being concise and clarity, I immediately thought back to this show. The script that these actors read off of is nothing more than a knife to the English language, and the actors serve as the butchers. Instead of saying, "I will kill you and feel good about it when we fight in the arena" these actors would say something like "When we battle in the arena, I will take your life in honor of myself, my house and whatever god they are looking to in order to channel strength and power. No don't get me wrong, the prophetic nature of which they speak (<-- see)is highly entertaining and it masks bad acting with even worse acting, there is something fascinating about their lingo.

I wonder what would happen if I started speaking this way. Maybe I will do it just to see the reactions I get.

For those who have yet to see Spartacus, consider this mathematical equation:

(Gladiator) + (300) = SPARTACUS!!!

2 comments:

  1. That is one of the best shows ever! Everything about that show screams awesome, and every episode is better than the first. I always wake up thinking I should watch the show rather than go to class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The characters sound like they talk like 5-year-olds; "I did this and then I did this and I did this and there was a goat and and monkey!"

    Also, Spartacus is banned from our house, but mostly because we're too engulfed in Battlestar Galactica.

    ReplyDelete