Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Only Good Lobster is Real Lobster

I was having a difficult time trying to figure out what to write about this week, until I stumbled across this ridiculous picture in my phone. That will come later. First off I want to express my sincere thanks to this book for not stifling our creativity as writers. While the text expresses the importance of not using overworked, overused cliches, it does not state that we should never use them at all. Cliches are the essence of writing. It gives the reader an insight into the noun they are reading about. I think we can all agree that "eyes like a hawk" sounds much better than "he could see well."

I have had a problem in the past with using bad cliches and not giving intense detail where it is due. In the future, I think I could analyze what I am writing about and make sure I give correct attribution to details. I could also use fewer bad cliches, and maybe make up some of my own.

Anyway. Here is that picture. Anyone ever had Main Lobster?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, clichés are good for interacting with some people you don't know well like cashiers, but operating outside clichés creates a much more interesting conversation. But I agree that “eyes like a hawk” is better than “he sees well.” But other phrases are always available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it is nice to know that you can break some rules and that using cliches, or even fragment and run on sentences, can create a unique style as long as you know what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete