Saturday, February 5, 2011

Test next week...


This week has definitely been the hardest so far for me. There are so many rules to remember! Who would have thought that there could be so much to know about pronouns! You’ve got to keep the types straight, some can be considered plural or singular in different situations, and you have to make sure they always match their antecedent. Not to mention who/whom and who/that. I wouldn’t say any one rule is particularly hard, it’s just that there are so many of them! My brain is being overloaded with information!
I went to the review for the test today, and that was very helpful. I think my favorite part was a hint we discussed regarding who vs. whom: who stands in for he or she, while whom stands in for him or her. So if you can reorder the sentence and replace who with he or she and it makes sense, then you’ve done it correctly! I’m not sure if I explained that very clearly, but it really helped me to get a handle on who/whom so that I can understand it. I think I’m ready for this test, but we’ll see!
The grammar mistake I found this week was a particularly funny one. I was looking through some of my photos and found one that I had taken of a student’s comment on rateyourprofessor.com. What’s even funnier is that the teacher (who shall remain nameless) is an English teacher! I don’t know if the student was actually serious when they posted this, or if they were just trying to be funny, but either way it’s a pretty hideous use of the English language!

3 comments:

  1. I agree it's hard to keep all of the rules straight! I liked the editing mistake you found. I hope the person who wrote it wasn't being serious about their grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to keep the rules straight. Usually people on Ratemyprofessors.com are serious. That might explain a lot of the low ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I'm not sure I really understand the rules and other times I feel like it is too easy. I;m just trying to get through life without looking stupid. It's not working out too well.

    ReplyDelete