Saturday, February 19, 2011

Euphemism

Euphemism is an expression designed to be less offensive or disturbing than the word or phrase it replaces. When I was a kid I asked my brother what that word meant and his response was "look it up in the dictionary". I looked it up in the dictionary and I still had no clue what the dictionary was trying to tell me cause I was seven. From that point on I always wondered about the word and have been to lazy to look it up. Thank you "When Words Collide," you have once again cleared up another mystery. 

It is interesting how people use euphemisms a lot. I am fascinated by those who use euphemisms thinking I totally understand what they are saying, but since they don't come right out and say it, I find myself lost and sometimes perplexed. Personally, I appreciate people who are straight forward because there is no mystery and I don't have to assume something that may not be. 

I don't like euphemisms if I am lost in the conversation, but when it works to my benefit I love them! Shocking how that works.

Editing mistake this week. I did see a sign that caught my eye, but I can't recall what it said. It was on a farmers insurance sign. I was excited to report about it too. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. I think that euphemisms are a great way to be politically correct.

    ReplyDelete