Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review

Today We reviewed for our exam that we must take next week. I must admit that without the review today, there would be a distinct possibility of test failure. Dr. J helped me with the intricacies and nuances of punctuation and grammar.

The proper use of who and whom has been giving me a headache since I started to dissect its proper usage. Simplification is necessary in my opinion to understand some of the rules of usage. For example, I think of who as the subject and replace the who with he or she. I think of whom as the object and replace it with him or her.

Another aspect of today's learning experience was the use of that and which. That is essential with no commas, while which is non-essential with commas. Similar rules apply with the use of good and well. For example, I am good. Good would be used because of the linking verb in between I and good. I am doing well. Well would be used because of the adverb doing.

Looks like our test is next week. Good luck everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have attended the test review. It sounds like it was very helpful. The tip about how to know when to use who or whom helps me a lot too!

    ReplyDelete