Sunday, January 23, 2011

Comic Spelling

Reading a lot of comic books affords me the opportunity to witness boring, lazy and tragically misguided writing. reading through newspaper comic strips allows me the same result. the other day when I read through a really old Hagar the Horrible I saw some spelling errors. the errors took away from the meaning of the strip and made it much more confusing. Because certain words were misspelled, the fundamental meaning of the misspelled word became obscured, and the overall effect of the strip deteriorated. Although, Hagar already is a horrible strip. One misspelled word was frightened. Although, it was spelled frightnd. The misspelled word stole from the meaning of the strip, as I had to double check the word to make sure it wasn't some sort of strange Finnish word. Another misspelled word I came across was conceived. The i and e reversed places in the strip. This didn't confuse the meaning or message of the actual strip. Usually I don't notice the i and e place switchers in magazines or other reading material without someone telling me the word is spelled wrong. In this instance I found the mistake myself and felt a great deal pleased and a greater deal excited at the discovery.

1 comment:

  1. It is surprising how much some writers are able to get away with. I suppose that lets you know how important it is to learn and recognize proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. It puts you at an advantage in both reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete