Saturday, January 15, 2011

My dream job has always been to be a book editor. But as I did this assignment, I realized that what I really wanted to do was to read books for money, not to edit them. As I mentioned before, I went to 11 different schools before I graduated from high school, and somehow I completely missed learning any grammar at all. The only grammar I know is from all the reading I have done over the years. I have always had a question about how to use an apostrophe in my name to make it possessive. My last name is Jones and I had a vague idea that all I had to do was to add an apostrophe at the end of my name and be done. Over the years I have gotten letters addressed to the Jones's and even to the Joneses, so I was confused. I learned that I had been correct. To make my name possessive it really is Jones'. I made sure to announce my new-found knowledge to my brand-new daughter-in-law so that she would know how to spell her new last name.

Hyphens were a mystery to me as well. I actually thought that they were over used. Notice I used a bunch of hyphens in the previous paragraph. I have never really understood the reason for a dash either. I was really glad to learn about dashes, and now I will not be afraid to use them. So all in all it is really good to be a little bit more knowledgeable.

Now on to editing mistakes. My oldest son works at KSL, so that is the station that I watch for my news. I have always been irritated by the spelling mistakes in the closed captioning that is provided. I have always told my son that I could do a better job at spelling than they do, and they should just hire me. He defends KSL as the news is captioned in real time and the stenographers have very little time in which to caption the news. So that is it for me. I hope I haven't make too many mistakes in my blog.

3 comments:

  1. I love catching the spelling mistakes in the news feeds on various stations, too!
    It's interesting that a dream job for you is editing. I think most people just want to write and get the words out there instead of checking them; the editing world could benefit from someone with drive like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, that's so cool your son works for KSL! Working for them is one of my dream jobs. Also, I agree that the section about possessives was beneficial to read. My last name is Connors so I always wondered what the correct way to punctuate it was too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a book editor is something I've thought about too! But you're right, it's a lot harder than it sounds at first! I think commas are the hardest thing to catch; there are so many different ways to use them!

    ReplyDelete