Monday, January 17, 2011

Randomness about me

Hi all,
It took me a little while to figure out how to get on here. Ah, the wonders of technology, huh? Anyway, I'm Brian Giles, and I'm a senior here at Weber State. I'm majoring in journalism, specifically literary journalism. It's kind of funny to think about how I ended up choosing that, because I've loved writing for a long time but never really realized it. When I was in high school I did an internship writing a newsletter for the parents of students at the junior high I went to. Looking back now, I have no idea how I pulled that off. I started out at Weber wanting to do radio, but I took a class which proved to be a bit of a challenge, so there went that dream. I thought about technical writing, and for a long time was going to do a BIS with technical writing, communication and spanish. While doing that, I took some journalism classes and loved it. It is a challenge but I found that I'm good at it, so after last spring semester I made it official and switched to journalism.
Now for all the boring stuff. OK, maybe not all of it. I've been blind since birth because I was born three months early, but I've always just considered that part of who I am. Whenever people ask me if I could have my vision back, I always tell them that I'd have to think about it first. I've always enjoyed video games, but not so much of the newer stuff. I think the original Super Mario Bros is the best game ever made. I'm also a huge music fan, and think iPods are the greatest thing ever invented because you can take all your music and slip it in your pocket. Recently, I have started creating playlists as soundtracks for trips I go on as a way to remember them, much like a person does with a photo album.
During the nine years I've been at Weber State, I have also had three guide dogs. They haven't all worked out, thus the unusually high number of them in such a short time. I was planning on getting a fourth this summer, but that has been put on hold for now. This has become a huge passion in my life because once I am working well with the right dog, though it is difficult to explain, it is the greatest thing I have experienced in my entire life.
Anyway, enough rambligng from me for now. Good luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment