Sunday, January 23, 2011

Editing for Dummies: HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY!!

When you think about editing you think of all those God-awful red pen marks with strike-through lines and squiggly lines telling you what a horrible writer you really are. But in reading about different secrets to writing this week, I learned something new. How can you be a decent writer if you don't have anything to say? DUH! What I used to blame on writers block, I can now blame it on my lack of having anything to say. Well, that is what the book says. I disagree. I think it is because I have TOO MUCH to say. All my thoughts get jumbled and I end up writing a story about a mid-evil princess driving a flying car to a basketball game.
HUH??
Exactly....
I am a jumble of words. So another thing I learned was to pause and organize my thoughts. Use note cards or an outline so my ideas have a similar theme and an even flow that goes in a comprehensible order. Thank you authors (and editors) of When Words Collide.

So I finally found and was able to capture the beauty of illiterate grammar and poor editing in our world in a restroom in Bear Lake this last weekend. Check out this beauty.


What scared me the most is that this sign was at a restaurant... where people were eating... and employees cooking. Which hand are they supposed to wash? Hopefully the one that cooked my food. But seriously, how could you not have seen that unless you did ZERO editing or rereading of the sign before you printed and posted it. People these days...

2 comments:

  1. That's a really funny editing mistake! Ha ha!
    Outlining my thoughts is something I've learned that I have to do better as well. I'm a rambler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the sign is for someone like Captain Hook. But either way, I thought your post funny.

    ReplyDelete