Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hear Language

Two of the secrets of writing that stuck out to me this week were “Hear Language” and “Revise”. These two secrets go very well together because as you read through your writing you should hear the language and make the appropriate revisions. I used to really dislike proofreading my own work because it usually just didn’t sound right. As I improved my writing skills, I was more diligent in proofreading and making appropriate revisions. I didn’t mind reading my work, even if parts of it sounded bad, because I eventually knew how to make those revisions. I did this by writing for the ear and hearing the language. Another key aspect that I believe helped me improve my writing is secret #1 from the textbook: read. Whenever I proofread my work I imagine somebody else reading as though it were in a book or a newspaper. Reviewing and revising your work is essential in order to be a competent writer. Not only will it catch embarrassing spelling, punctuation, and grammar mistakes, but it will also help you decide whether the piece of writing flows and is easy to read. So after writing, re-read it so that you can hear the language, then make the appropriate revisions. It’s worth the extra time and reading to maintain your credibility as a writer.

The grammar mistake I noticed this week was in a bank deposit agreement. I don’t remember the exact sentence but it mentioned certain penalties for excessive transfers “from a account” instead of “from an account.” Those type of errors are little but noticeable and can make it difficult for people to take you seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment