Thursday, January 6, 2011

A New Semester :)


Hi there! My name is Christine Merkley. I’m majoring in Journalism. Last semester I decided to emphasize in Technical Writing within the Journalism major. I don’t have any media writing experience other than in classes I’ve taken at Weber. I am taking the Signpost class for the first time this semester.


Last semester I took the Magazine Article Writing class and really enjoyed writing and submitting my work to magazines. One thing I did notice in this class was that my editing skills were lacking. I’ve found a love for writing and desperately need to brush up my editing skills. Like many others, I am too close to my spell check button. I rarely take the time to learn how to spell something. Why would I if I can use my spell check? Well…come to find out…I shouldn’t be relying so heavily on it. This is part of the reason I’m taking this Editing class.


Apart from being a student, I am currently a secretary for a private school that houses adolescent kids with behavioral issues. The program provides them with a structured atmosphere and regular school classes. As much fun as that sounds ;) I do want to graduate with a degree in Journalism and find a wonderful job I can completely fall in love with. I’ve been married to my wonderful husband for about a year and a half. We are both working full time and I attend school full time while he attends part time, needless to say, we barely see each other during the week.


Apart from writing I have several other hobbies. I am completely in love with cooking healthy meals for my husband and myself. We’ve both found a love for a healthy lifestyle and I really enjoy searching out new cookbooks or recipes that help us indulge in great tasting food without the bad side effects. We used to eat out several times a week…then we watched “Super Size Me” and “Food, Inc.”…barf. That was about all we needed to see. I also love working on crafts. I make canvas name signs, anniversary gifts, blankets, clothing, magnet boards, and other odds and ends. I also love curling up with a good book for thirty minutes or so to wind down from a stressful day. Other hobbies include hiking, playing the piano, and organizing my house (yes I LOVE to organize).


Another full time hobby is playing with our cute dog Kaimanu. We call him Kai or Kai Kai. I rescued him from the Ogden Animal Shelter about three weeks before I met my husband. We think he is around three years old now. We assume he is a chow chow mixed with golden retriever. He’s a beautiful ball of fluff and energy. He’s always around to make us giggle.


Now that I’ve rambled on for 500 words  I hope you all have a fantastic semester and good luck with your classes!

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the Signpost class(Features) this semester, too! It's my second year. It gets pretty time consuming, especially around the end of the semester, but it's so helpful in gaining experience! I'm also totally with you on the organizing; the boy has way too many toys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha same with my guy! I haven't been assigned anything for the signpost yet. I got permission to take it basically online and I'm still waiting to get assigned and editor. Hopefully it's not too stressful. I have a TON of classes this semester. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete