Saturday, January 8, 2011

Just a little bit about me!


Hello all! My name is Shaylee Whiting, I’m an English major with a minor in Communication. I love the English language and everything that has to do with it, whether written or spoken! As such, I love to read and write, talk and sing! I’ve been in some choir or another every year since sixth grade (the most at one time was three). I’m currently the secretary of the Ogden LDS Institute Chorale, which is more time consuming than I ever thought it would be, but so worth it. And for those who don’t know, the shower has great acoustics!

My love of talking has translated well into drama, and I’ve been in several plays. I love theater, even though I don’t feel like I’m the best at it, and can’t quite decide if it’s more fun to watch or participate in. My favorite play has been and always will be the Phantom of the Opera! It’s timeless! I saw it a couple years ago in Denver over spring break and loved every minute! My favorite part that I’ve played would definitely have to be Lina Lamont from ‘Singin’ in the Rain’. It’s a good thing my vocal cords are so well exercised, because that role can take it out of you!

As I said, I love reading and writing, and my hope is to one day become a published writer. I was editor of my high school literary journal my senior year, and I thought that I was pretty good at editing, but after a few years of college I’ve realized I’ve still got a lot to learn. I’m really eager to take this class and improve my skills. I’m also taking a novel writing class this semester which is really helping to exercise my creativity.

I love all genres of books, but especially fantasy. I’m highly opposed to growing up, and as a result I love reading “kid” books and young adult books. Harry Potter has got to be one of the greatest series in the history of the world! I also love all the new dystopian books that are coming out, like the Hunger Games series.

Another passion of mine is cooking. I love being in the kitchen, even though it’s frustrating when the cupboards are too high (I’m only 4’ 11’’). This year for Christmas I got a crepe pan and a food processor! I was a happy girl! I have a strong addiction to anything sweet, but especially CHOCOLATE! I wish sugar was healthier for you, but since it’s not, I make sure I exercise regularly. I love to run and do yoga. I recently tried out Zumba, which was insanely fun even though I’m sure I looked like a complete dork while doing it! I really need to start a weight training program, however, because I’m weak!

I also love the outdoors! I love the summer when I can write out on the trampoline and read in the hammock. Some of my favorite outdoor activities are hiking and boating. I’m not into very many winter sports, so I long for warmer weather!

And that’s basically me in a nutshell!

4 comments:

  1. Shaylee,

    Good post. I saw Phantom of the Opera this summer when I was in New York City, I really enjoyed it as well. I also like to read although most of my reading during school is assigned from text books. Your post was very well written so I can tell you already have a talent for writing and editing. I hope you have success in your future writing aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about Zumba. You said that you did it. Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Zumba. If you like dancing than you'd like this, because that's basically what it is. It's very energetic dancing though, so the first few times you do it, expect to be out of breath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shower definitely has great acoustics. The world's best singing is done there. It sounds like you are into all sorts of awesome things, but being into harry Potter is the best thing I've read all day. I just watched all the movies in one day, and my dreams all took place with a British accent after that. Great post.

    ReplyDelete