Friday, January 14, 2011

Punctuation has always been something I just sort of roll with and hope I’m doing things right. I add a comma here or there, just when it sounds natural I suppose. That seems to come pretty easily but when we get into the crazy stuff like when to use semicolons, how not to use colons, whether or not to include a comma before the word “and”…yeah that stuff I’m not so good at. Needless to say, this week has been very informative for me.

I found the online power points to be EXTREMELY helpful to me. The tips given were exactly what I needed to hear. They answered most of my punctuation questions and helped a lot in the punctuation assignment. Now that I know some of the rules I don’t feel like I’m just “rolling with it” like I did before.

The editing mistake I want to share is one that my husband and I found a few months back. It’s a warning sign at the Burger Stop in Layton. It says something to this effect: “This property protected by video surveillance violates will be prosecuted.” It’s all one long sentence with no punctuation and “violates will be prosecuted”…really? Apparently they did NOT hire an editor :). That’s my exciting editing mistake for this week. Have a good week everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I like the way you put it how you used to do punctuation. "Just roll with it". I am so like that. Oh how I rely on spell/grammar check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! That's probably why I struggle with editing haha. This is difinitely a class I need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also just roll with grammar. It is much less time consuming. The Burger Stop quote is pretty funny. I guess they don't think they need an editor.

    ReplyDelete