Saturday, January 15, 2011

Punctuation Problem

Hi! My name is Mary and I am a comma-addict.

I have found this week's lesson to be very insightful in my misuse of that cute period with a tail. I feel it appropriate to use it in any part of a sentence where I feel like there should be a pause, regardless if it is correct grammar or not. I want my sentences to sound the way I am thinking them in my head so I find myself adding one here and there in just about every sentence. BUT, after further knowledge in this course, I stand corrected. (OK, now I am really paranoid about my writing. Anyone else?) Commas are imperative to any good sentence to prevent run-ons, but they are not necessary needed in EVERY sentence like I previously believed.

I could not find, for the life of me, a grammatical mistake that would blind an editor. But I did find plenty of mistakes in a paper my husband was writing for a class. It was kind of fun to go through and cross off all the unnecessary commas. It was even more fun to stab the paper with the big red marker whenever he forgot a period. Evil? Anyways, I will be on the lookout once again this week.

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty paranoid about my writing now too!! There are so many rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the overuse of commas and using them where I want rather than where they should be. It is easier to read something that you wrote but when you expect other people to read your work it is important to use the proper punctuation.

    ReplyDelete