Friday, January 14, 2011

Editing adventure

Alas, the time has come to blog again. My creativity may not be as exciting as my last blog entry, so bear with me.


It was hard to get all the reading in this week, but I did. I learned lots and yet I feel as though I have already forgotten most of it. I have always struggled with punctuation and knowing when to use apostrophes, commas, dashes, you name it.


While reading, I was mostly intrigued by the use of dashes. I never understood the purpose of them. Now that I do, I am reading books in a different way. I see the dash and I think "why is this surprising or ironic?" It has changed my world. I feel like a new woman.


You may be be surprised to hear this, but I have a qualm with semi-colons. For years I have been using the semi-colon wrong – to tell you the truth I have always avoided using it. (Did you like the dash usage? I bet you’re thinking “Colette that is bold!”)

I now understand semi-colons to a greater extent. Still, I am a bit leery of using them, but at least they no longer are my enemy. We are acquaintances now.


Onto my editing mistake search. I found a few. First, I went to a meeting this week and on the agenda they had the wrong date! I was shocked. The next one I found was in a thesis paper I had to read. Not only did he use the wrong tense several times, but there was some definite misuse of the comma. Besides that, I failed in my search. I was too caught up in my new job, school, and – I confess this last one reluctantly installing and using my new projector.


It’s already friday. Where does the time go?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with ya! I have always felt pretty lost when it comes to punctuation. This week has been very helpful but I still feel a little behind. It was great to learn the rules and tips but I will probably always have to refer back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing with the dash! I honestly found myself saying, "Is this really that surprising?" I think most of the time it's just for effect.

    ReplyDelete