Thursday, January 27, 2011

Way Too Overwhelming

Reading chapter four, like many of you have mentioned, has scared me from writing in any case. Even now, my palms are sweating writing this blog, and not one witty or clever theme is coming to mind. The fun and creativity has been drained out of me, and has been replaced with self-consciousness about how active/passive my sentences are or how long they are becoming. I would like to focus on run-on sentences since I find myself "running on" all the time. Just like the book says, "A run-on sentence doesn't know when to quit." I find myself using the comma-splice error to justify the length of my sentences. But now I understand the correct usage of commas, it may be something to keep under control. I have found that when I correct my sentences, my clarity becomes greater and more defined.

Now for the grammar failure of the week...



Okay, never mind that there are zero punctuation attempts in this billboard. I would like the focus on the "Its" that we were talking about this week. In this sentence the way that they have the word is in the possessive form. The word they need is the contraction, "it's". That way, the sentence would read, "It's (it is) the law." Society is pretty embarrassing.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the self-consciousness. I was so worried about writing my blog. Yikes! At least we're all in the same boat right? And yes...society is embarrasing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signs always have the worst grammar! You would think whoever makes the signs would be more careful considering tons of people will read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your blog. I never knew the rule about its versus it's. I wonder how many people actually learn that rule?

    ReplyDelete