Saturday, January 8, 2011

Enchante!


Hello. My name is Laurie Everett and I am a senior stuydying English-Creative Writing with a Communication minor. I have published poetry, short stories, and articles, corresponded for Signpost, and edited two books professionally; most of them under my maiden name. I hope to work in publishing and continue to have my creative works published. I have presented my work in various places including the 2010 National Undergraduate Literature Conference and several scholarship luncheons.



I grew up in Arizona as one of nine children and grew weary of the heat. I have lived here in Utah for 14 years and may be on of the only Utahans that loves the snow! I enjoy swimming, hiking, biking, camping, hunting, dancing, yoga, marital arts, and weight lifting. I'm also working on getting my concealed weapons permit after safety training. I am a single mother of two teenage boys and two small dogs.



My mother is Irish and I have an innate love for nature since my ancestors were pagans. If I could realistically live outdoors, I would. As it is, I have settled with being a fervent sunset watcher and hiker...and anything else I can do outside. My favorite authors include: John Muir, Walt Whitman, Shakespeare, and Ralph Waldo Emerson-he is my top love. In my opinion, Emerson was the original life coach and a very enlightened being.



I love to watch foreign films so if you know of any good ones or have questions about any, please ask! My favorites tend to be Australian and Indian...but not necessarily Bollywood. "Bride and Prejudice" is good. So is "Lagaan." I also enjoy the sort-of fringe films...with a good story. One of my favorites is "Being Human" with Robin Williams. It's kink of the original idea of Narratives, the story within the story. "The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman also attempted this. I prefer entertainment that will change, enlighten, or add to my perspectives in life. "Eat, Pray, Love" is good for this.



If I had one with for society...it would be that each individual would take personal responsibility for their lives and stop blaming others. It would certainly help to implement interpersonal communication skills and ethics back into the primary educational system. I am curious about others' opinions on how to help society become stronger.



My personal dreams include: owning a working farm where children with Pervasive Developmental Disorders could work with plants and animals, owning a cabin near Eden from which I will write books, and marrying the man of my dreams.



Some of my favorite places that I've traveled are: New York, Florida, and San Diego. Some of the places I would love to travel include: Alaska, Ireland, India, and South America. I have lived and/or visited most of the states in the United States (including Hawaii) and really have a love for the West. The atmosphere is much more relaxed here, and while I enjoy to visit big cities, I'm a yoga-motion, country-lover. Inner peace while serving my fellow men is my true quest.



Peace,

Laurie

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you've been to Florida! I've been to San Diego and enjoyed spending time at the beach. It was pretty cold, though, and I've heard Florida beaches are a bit warmer. I hope you can go to all the other places you want to visit. Traveling is way fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wish! Accountability is truly a lost art.

    ReplyDelete