Monday, January 17, 2011

Facebook: The Grammar FREE Zone

Armed with my arsenal of spiral-bound reference books (Hacker, Kessler, and Shertzer), 15 years of primarily academic writing, and my 20 plus years of English speaking, I continue to battle my way through the webs of prolific errors that the internet presents. Sometimes a sentence can be written the same way it would be spoken and it will not make grammatical sense. My biggest problems in grammatical functions are the infamous semicolon and the comma splice. My professor from ENG 2010 devoted almost an entire semester to the comma splice. I learned quite a bit about the pesky little mistake, but the English language is incredibly complex and extremely dynamic. Try as I might it seems that a comma splice or two always seems to sneak into one of my papers.
I wanted to take this last 100 words to make an observation and defend the atrocious grammar and piss poor spelling that I utilize on the social networking site, Facebook. Perfect grammar and punctuation are always goals of mine in most of my writing, however I feel that the friends I have on Facebook are all people who I am very comfortable and relaxed with. Thus, my grammar and punctuation also take a nose dive. I use my grammatical errors as a defiant statement to the monitoring of ourselves on social networks, or any computer mediated communication not set aside as a formal means of communication. On the other hand, I do recognize that lax regulation of my spelling and grammar directly reflects upon my competence as a writer. This is why my online language and my academic writing are worlds apart. I am hardly concerned with my Facebook friends viewing me as less competent because I used the wrong to (too or two) or didn’t capitalize i because I was typing at 65 words per minute.
OK, enough ranting.

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't figured out what a comma splice is. I guess I better look it up. I do try to use the correct spelling and puncutation on facebook and when I am texting. My husband, however, can only give yes and no answers when answering texts. He texts a Y for yes and a N for no. When informed that he was having a new grandchild by text, he did manage to send back an !.

    ReplyDelete