Saturday, January 15, 2011

Guilty as charged

The hardest part of this weeks punctuation exercises were the hyphens, semi colons, dashes and parentheses. Maybe it is because I don't use them very often. I had problems figuring out where to put hyphens and semi colons. Some of the things that I thought were correct punctuation usage turned out to be completely wrong. For example, I learned not to use a comma to precede a partial quotation and use the comma if the quotation is a full sentence.

Some of this was touch up and review from English 1010 and 2010, but most of it takes logical and accurate thinking on my part. I think that we have all become a bit lazy in spelling and proper punctuation because we have programs that will spell the word and punctuate the paper correctly.

I did not see and editing mistakes lately, but I have noticed that whenever I see and email or a text message, the spelling and punctuation are terrible. It would seem that in a world that is dominated by technology, spelling and punctuation errors are commonplace in today's society. I'm just as guilty as everyone else. I almost don't care if I spell something right because I can just spell check it later. On another note, are any of you having problems commenting on the blog? I tried figuring it out with Dr. J, however we were unsuccessful and I still cannot comment on anyone's blog. Please Help!

2 comments:

  1. I did not grow up with all the technology that you did, so I have always been really picky about spelling. I have to be because I usually can't figure out how to make my spell check work. My kids make fun of me because it takes me forever to text. I have to make sure that everything is spelled and puncutated correctly. However, as I did the assignment this week it came as a surprise to find out that I am not the great speller that I thought I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had issues commenting when using IE or Firefox, like when I'm at school or the library. We use Chrome at home, and it works flawlessly. I've also had trouble if I didn't log in through Blogspot.com and logged in through my G-mail. That might help; if not, Anthony's a pro at blogging, so ask him!

    I do agree with you on people being lazy about spelling and punctuation. Hand written essays created my junior high kids is proof of this! They (along with most) are absolutely clueless!

    ReplyDelete