Saturday, January 22, 2011

I am a grammar idiot.

I have always thought that I was a decent writer with adequate skills on writing style and grammar. Wrong; this class has definitely forced me to reevaluate everything that I have forgotten. There are so many rules and rules of rules that I have slowly forgotten over time. One piece of advice that I can give to myself and my classmates is located in chapter 3. READ!!!!! Read as much as you can. Different styles of writing can definitely broad your horizons and force you to evaluate your cognitive writing skills. It also took me an extremely long time to do the grammar checkup quiz. I am not used to taking grammar quizzes like that one anymore. What are your thoughts on this class so far? I think that it is very challenging, not because it is particularly hard, but because it forces you to think in ways that we may have forgotten.

I have noticed several editing mistakes on advertisements. Every Monday I watch headlines on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and there are always the most obvious mistakes on advertisements. For example, "bear it all," when the correct usage should have been " bare it all." There is one thing that is still irritating me. I can not seem to leave comments for other blogs. Is anyone else having this problem. I am signed into my Google account and it is still not letting my post comments.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I'm relearning all the grammar rules too. I can't believe how much I've forgotten! I completely agree that reading is the way to improve your writing skills. It gives your mind new ideas about how to write.

    ReplyDelete