Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rules Rules Rules


As we get further and further into the semester I have realized that all of these grammar rules have me going insane. There are rules and rules to those rules, all of which question my ability as a writer. I will admit that I am probably a better writer now than I was four weeks ago because of my ability to catch grammatical errors with more frequency. I also find myself finding grammatical errors by observing everyday life and my surroundings. Attached is an example of a drive-up window, which had a grammar error.

One concept that I am familiar with is the difference between its and it's. The easiest explanation that I can give is, it's equals it is. For example, It's the highest mountain I have ever climbed. Its equals possession. For example, The company is great because of its commitment to higher education. In addition to this, I simply use it is in a sentence to see if it makes sense. In the second sentence it obviously doesn't make grammatical sense to put it's instead of its.

By the way, is anyone else having problems adding comments to the blog? I still cannot add comments to individual blogs.

2 comments:

  1. I also get better as the weeks pass, and I learn more grammar rules. Good catch on the drive through grammar error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they can't use grammar correctly, I wonder how they prepare their food.

    ReplyDelete