Sunday, January 23, 2011

Presented with Permission from The National Football League

Aside from charging nearly $2.50 for a pop, this restaurant misspelled 'cherry' and forgot a comma between 'grape' and 'vanilla'. If grape vanilla is an ac

tual flavoring, then a hyphen should have been used. The food and service was also rubbish. This place was the McDonald's of Italian food, and I'm not talking about Olive Garden.

My main guff with this chapter was the #4 mistake of a lack of parallelism. I remember getting in trouble for using parallelism in anything other than a poem. I understand the idea behind using it, but I don't think having little of it constitutes (as the book puts it) "startling poor writing".

The two mistakes I make are confusing 'that' and 'which' & 'who'

with 'whom'. I assumed 'that' and 'which' mean the same thing, but after reading this chapter I know better. 'Which' calls for elaboration, which to me screams "add more detail!" If I can remember that much, then life is good.

As for 'who v whom' the battle is probably going to last forever. I just studied the rule and wrote about it for our assignments, and I still can't seem to remember the rule. I blame the Steelers.

The following links are probably old news, but I think they fit perfectly with this and last week’s topics:

How to Use a Semicolon






2 comments:

  1. I know exactly where you are coming from. That, which and who/whom are the three main grammar concepts that always make me go back and make my papers bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have major problems with those as well. I think a lot of my teachers did too, because I don't remember ever learning how to use them properly in grade school...
    It wasn't until I got to college that my professors cared!

    ReplyDelete