Thursday, January 13, 2011

Brought to You By Bawls & a Sleepy Kitten

Apostrophe Catastrophes highlights the misuse of apostrophes in everyday situations. Tim Burton, Todd Palin and a Utah County Councilman are just a few of many people who have made silly apostrophe mistakes. I caught this blog in my Twitter feed the other day.

Chapter Eight in "When Words Collide" taught me the value of a comma. I knew it was misused a lot, but I didn't realize just how much or that I was misusing it more than I thought. The rule I was taught was "use one less than the amount listed". If there were four items in list, then you only need three commas. However, this is not case for media writing. Hopefully I can implement this new-found rule into my articles when I write for the Signpost. My boyfriend also took notes from this chapter so he could make his video game blog look more professional.

I don't believe I'll ever use dashes unless I specifically have to. Again, this will most likely be used in a Signpost article, but I have to work on creating leads worthy of dashes.

The ellipsis section did settle a bet; I have always maintained there were spaces between each period, but my friend was dead-set on no spaces. I didn't win anything material, but it still felt good to rub it in his face with proof from the book!

It's worth noting the spelling test from last week's module helped me a lot, but I will never have my boyfriend give me a spelling test again. So cocky. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment